Sunday, June 5, 2011

Lisboa, day 1: Castles and rain

I visited the Castelo de S. Jorge yesterday soon after arriving in Lisbon. I have loved medieval times since we had to build a model of a castle in 3rd grade, yet I probably would have been a scullery maid back then and lived to 24. Life was rough.

This hilltop has been used by kings and rulers since the 12th century, but there is an archaeological site from the Iron Age on the site as well. The day I visited there were 50,000 Portuguese cub scouts tramping around and I noticed a large condom dispenser outside the bathroom area. Really? Are there condom machines at the Statue of Liberty? I guess there should be.I also walked around a lot of central Lisbon and waited out a rainstorm in the Chiado with lots of other tourists.

No comments: