Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Tintype cat, July 2008

It takes a while to make a tintype. Prep the glass, set up your picture, get it all ready, pour the solution, run over to camera, get the picture, run back, develop it and pray. I remember John Coffer telling me a cat was not good subject matter for a tintype because you know, cats really listen and obey. This was 2008 at a tintype workshop I took with John and some other really talented folks in Dundee, NY. Except this kitty was my friend and he was ready for his closeup. The fact that the cat is almost off the frame is entirely my fault, that cat was super special. He had many toes and followed me everywhere I went for 3 days. John offered that I could take him with me if I wanted. I was pretty sure he would have been psyched about the constant supply of food, but not about the little Brooklyn apartment compared with 30 acres of fields to mouse.

Tintype of amazing cat in the grass, July 2008Positive print on treated paper of same image

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Poor ol' Toes, R.I.P.