Tuesday, November 2, 2010

I remember Bepop

It has been over a year since my Grandfather died and I was thinking a lot about him recently, and family in general. I have many of my grandparents family photographs now, from many generations and layers of different families that joined together over the years, so I have lots of ancestors squirming around in nice new photo boxes on the shelves. I feel them with me, walking around with me, watching me, waiting to see what I am going to do. The dead must laugh at all the sorrow we put ourselves through. All we really have to do is love each-other and try to be good to those around us. My bepop, Donald Warfield Sr was pretty damn good at these things.

age 2, so around 1923-4. On the back of the photo it says East 45th Street, Chicago. The south side.
Ok, so this picture deserves it's own little section, but anyway. That's Bepop to the left of Marlene Dietrich in Maastricht, The Netherlands in 1945. Maastricht was the first Dutch city to be liberated by allied forces. Bepop was also at the liberation of Paris as part of the signal corps. This must have been part of Marlene Dietrich's later USO tours. She was German, but a staunch anti-Nazi, and became an American citizen in 1939.
here he is, on the right, in 1965 on a boat, looks like a good party...

No comments: