Friday, November 11, 2011

Sisters

I went down to Zuccotti Park today with Sarah, but I didn't take any pictures. We walked all around the neighborhood, zigzag-ing through the tourists and endless barricades, police and horses. History and the passing of time are the themes that occupy my mind, especially today when we were walking through the tent city. There have been tent cities in New York before. I hazily remember Tompkins Square Park as a kid, and Central Park was filled with people struggling to make it through the depression in the early 1930s. I wonder how history will remember the people down in the park now? I can't say I really understand the message, but my thoughts are with them as the nights get longer and the frost sets in.

I will say this, it is a great country that lets such voices be heard. These freedoms have not been lightly won, and they are to be cherished. There are many places in the world today were you can and would be killed for much less. Here are two sisters, ancestors of mine on my grandmother Roys Jeffris' side of the family. "Aunt Hart" from Connecticut on the left and "Grandmother Roys" on the right. These are probably from the 1860s. Many voices were left out of the political conversations back then, and in the wide eye of history, that was 15 minutes ago.

No comments: