Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Last Meal #1, John R. Hicks, 11/29/05






Last night I started a project I have had in mind for some time now, about the last meals of death-row prisoners. After some research, I chose a person and made the meal they had requested and served it to a few friends at my house. The death penalty is something that I think needs to end in the United States and I want to explore what it means. I think of a meal as nourishment for life, and to serve someones favorite thing as the final send-off seems sick. I am excited to see where this project could lead.

John Hicks was executed in Ohio on November 29, 2005. He asked for: two steaks, a baked potato, salad, bread, apple pie, a soft drink and potato chips. I made steak au poivre, because why not, I'm sure he would have liked it.

3 comments:

J+J+K said...

you're making me hungry all over again. excellent cook and excellent photographer. :)

Jordan Duvall said...

That sounds like a really interesting project. I look forward to seeing the images. Combining the images with the menu would be an interesting way to take the project even further.
Jordan
www.jordanduvall.com

themadpoet said...

I think 'last supper' is an awesome idea. I'm a cook, currently attending culinary school, and hoping to become a chef. I believe that food, good food, has the ability to restore and strengthen the mind, body and spirit. The juxtaposition of beautiful, artistic, and 'healthy' food with death is chilling.