Wednesday, June 18, 2008

I just gotta say

I was on the subway on the way home tonight and was standing next to two women, who I realized were a couple as their fingers were interlaced as they held onto the subway pole together. It dawned on me that after a few years, when gay marriage has finally been recognized and accepted all across this tumultuous, anachronistic, and enchanting country, it will not be so much of a struggle for anyone to recognize what I have always thought, and what anyone with half a brain could easily see, that love is just that. Why bother trying to define it? My family - my heritage - has been American for over 300 years, and I always thought one of the main reasons they came here was so you could do as you please (besides the fact there wasn't too much food to go around in Ireland), so long as you don't hurt your fellow man. Isn't it time we started realizing that people aren't afraid any longer to say who they love, and far be it from any government to stand in their way. Halting this progress can only lead to the downfall of a progressive society.

It makes me shake my head that politicians see halting love as an issue to deal with rather than: unnecessary war, health care, high prison population, drug abuse, unemployment, etc.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm a straight male from Dubai, just want to say that I admire your open mindedness and I agree with your ideas. My sister is a closeted lesbian, and I see the struggle she goes through just to live according to our culture.

If only everyone thinks like you do, then no one would have to suffer in life just because of what they really are.