Friday, October 31, 2008

Angela Davis at the Cooper Union

I went with my mom to hear Angela Davis talk about the prison system, Obama, race, and historical context. It was interesting. She quoted from Obama's speech on race that he made in March, and wondered why any discussion on race was absent and seemingly not welcome in this election, which I hadn't really thought about. Angela is pretty cool.

When I was walking out I was thinking, shit, I can definitely NEVER get elected to anything now.....Bill Ayers was my nursery school teacher and I go to lectures by people who used to be on the FBI's 10 most wanted list.

1 comment:

Rick Bryan said...

Good post. Yes it was an interesting lecture. Some of Angela Davis' views are as wacky as they were forty years ago, but sometimes she presents a good articulate argument for her positions. Interesting person, for sure.