Monday, September 15, 2008

Have you ever been to Governor's Island?








Neither had I, until last week. My dear old friend Vivien is a charter member of the Gotham Planning Society, who co-sponsored a maritime visit to the island. A Navy stronghold until 1966, it then changed hands to the US Coast Guard who used it until 1996 when it became mainly an under-utilized and under-appreciated part of this great city. I wandered through an empty house built in 1834 that used to be where the Navy captain and his family lived. It was last lived in during the early 1960's and it shows. Apparently the folks who care about Governors Island really want you and I to care about as well and come up with great things to do there. We walked underneath one of those waterfalls and it was September 10th, so the lights to commemorate the Twin Towers were on in lower Manhattan. Seeing as I grew up here, I still can't really fathom that all that really happened. It seems abstract.

No comments: