Thursday, May 15, 2008

Synchronicity watch: Bill Evans, Toni Frissell, Weeki Wachee




I adore Bill Evans. It doesn't get much better in terms of tortured, melancholy, painfully beautiful jazz on the piano. I also visited Weeki Wachee every spring with my grandma near were she lived in northern Florida when I was a kid. Then i would tie my legs together in the pool and pretend to be a mermaid myself, which, lemme tell you, is a workout. And slightly dangerous i guess, but so is swimming in a spring-fed pool with a stream outlet into the marshes of the Florida gulf coast; chock full of crocks. We saw a few every year.

It just seems a lovely coincidence that this beautiful cover for the album Undercurrent was shot at Weeki Wachee by underappreciated photographer Toni Frisell. It is a picture I never tire of looking at. Click on image for larger pic.

No comments: